Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Cutting Down Our Tree

There is something about having a real tree that makes it really feel like Christmas. Both our families always had one when we were growing up but because our car was so small and couldn't handle off road we haven't been able to get one for years. Plus, I am way to cheap to go and pay fifty bucks for one at a tree stand. This year we had a van and some good friends that knew where to go to find a good tree. We had a lot of fun getting out into the forest and spending time as a family and with our friends, plus we found a great tree. We also only paid five dollars for the permit to cut it down.
The batteries died in our camera so our friends took some pictures for us that I don't have posted here, like when I fell down with Isaac in the front pack on me. Luckily I fell back instead of forward so he didn't get hurt but I felt pretty silly. As soon as I get them from our friends I'll post them. Here are the photos that I have.
The kids all bundled up in the car on the way to find a tree. Isaac looks so excited doesn't he.

Josh and our friend Marie trying to decide if it was a good tree or not.This had to be some time before the fall.
Jackson had a lot of fun traipsing around the hill even if he did fall a couple of times.
Brian and Marie cutting a smaller tree for some friends of theirs. Don't you love his hat!! Its a Russian hat and he said that it was the warmest had he'd ever had.The kids found a big pile of dirt to climb and get dirty on, of course!! They had a lot of fun and I'm really glad that one of them didn't fall down it and get hurt. These are Brian and Marie's two boys. I think this photo turned out really cool!!

DECORATING THE TREE!!!I forgot how long it takes to put the light on the tree!! It takes FOREVER!! And of course Isaac was obsessed with the lights.
Isaac was so excited about the bulbs. And he was so not soft with them. I was afraid that he was going to end up breaking one in his hands but when I'd try to take it away from him he would freak out!! Josh ended up sitting on the couch reading to him to distract him while the rest of us finished decorating. Notice that the lower third of the tree has no decorations on it. That would be because of my kids!! They can't keep their hands off it. In fact, the other day I came out to find that, some how, the boys had pulled the tree down!! More bulbs have been broken this year than in all of the years we have been married put together!! This year has already been eventful, I wonder what else is going to happen!!

4 comments:

Jen said...

I remember decorating my tree with stuffed animals one year when my kids were about your kids age! Ha- I wish you had a picture of your tree on the floor. Now THAT is something to brag about!

HG said...

That looks like a lot of fun! Don't know how you can handle glass bulbs with kids. Real Christmas trees do kind of put you in the spirit don't they?

Tiffany said...

Isn't it so fun to go cut down your own tree? No, they don't look like the perfect ones at the lots, but thats what makes them so special. We have been cutting down our tree ever since we have lived here. I love your tree! Have a Merry Christmas!!

* Dan & Ashley * said...

Your kids are SO freakin cute!! I LOVE the first picture!! You are making me miss my camera!! mine is broke and I am really sad!! I love all of the pictures!!