Monday, August 17, 2009

Lightning Storms and Lessons Learned




I've debated whether I should do this post or not because it happened so long ago but it's one that I'd like remember so I've decided to do it.

We had a thunder storm here a month or two ago. The kids had just gone to bed when it started but it's kind of a tradition that we watch the lightning together as a family(I've even woken Emma up to watch it with us before). This was the first storm we've watched that Jaxson was with us and he did not like the thunder at all. I love lightening storms and I wanted him to learn to like them as well, so instead of taking him into the other room and rocking him to sleep I saw an opportunity to teach him how fun it can be to watch the lightning. We made it a positive, fun, experience by saying "did you see that?" every time it flashed and "there it is" every time the thunder sounded. By the end he was saying it to us and was having a great time.

About a week later I was up around 3:00am feeding Isaac and I saw the most beautiful sky I've ever seen. The sun rises early up here so the sky was already starting to get light and it illuminated the clouds and made them look kind of like a wave of the sea. That's the best way I can describe it. It was so beautiful!! Of course I had to share it, so I woke up Josh and Emma to come look. The pictures we took didn't turn out very well but I will always remember that experience. It's amazing that something as simple as a sunrise or a lightning storm can convey the love of Heavenly Father so fully. I truly believe that makes beautiful things in nature to tell us that He loves us. How blessed we are.






This is the best photo we got of the sunrise. It isn't exactly what it looked like, but it's close. This doesn't show the prettiest part of the sky though.

3 comments:

Mom and Dad Bean said...

One of the most beautiful lightning storms I have ever seen was when we were visting Jenny in Moscow. I do not know what it is, but the lightning just seems to brighter up there.

Cailey said...

Wow that is so pretty though!!! I hate it how camera's dont really capture what you actually see, if that makes any sense. Jeff and I have some pictures of clouds and different sunsets that we tried to capture, but it doesnt even look close to what you see with your own eyes. I love nature, I am such a nerd about it but I Seriously LOVE nature. So beautiful and breathe taking!!! Thank you for sharing this!!!

Marisa said...

That is a pretty sky! I should look out the window more when I get up with Maryanne ... thanks for the reminder of the earth's beauty.